Latest Updates:
(+44) 207 060 5333 (UK)
+7 (499) 6092322 (RUS)
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in comments
Search in excerpt
Filter by Custom Post Type

Rights of a father and a mother to a child in the UK

Questions & AnswersCategory: Family Office & Notary ServicesRights of a father and a mother to a child in the UK
RSL Law Staff asked 1 year ago

Good evening, I would like to know which rights a mother and a father have in relation to a child born outside of marriage. I am a Latvian citizen. The father is Ukrainian with the British passport. The baby is two months old. I would like to apply for child maintenance. Also, how can I get housing benefit? Thank you in advance

1 Answers
RSL Law Staff answered 1 year ago

First of all we would like to note that both parents have equal rights to a child even if the child was born outside of marriage. Since the father of the baby is a British citizen and if the child was born in the UK, the child may be eligible to obtain British citizenship. A court will have to consider whether you are entitled to receive child maintenance. It will be considered whether you are eligible to apply for housing benefit taking into account your rights as a citizen of the EU country.

Red Square London Staff replied 1 year ago

Question originally submitted from BC Expert at

Click here Click here