Visiting the UK

People from some countries (for example the USA, Japan, Brazil) do not need any visa to come to the UK for a visit. And nationals of the EEA countries and of Switzerland do not need any visa to come for a visit either, because they can enter the UK without restriction under European free movement principles. The countries such as the USA are called “non-visa national” countries because their nationals do not require a visitor visa but nationals of other countries

Studying in the UK

There are two main routes for studying in the UK: the Tier 4 visa route and the Short-Term Student visa route. There are two types of Tier 4 visa: Tier 4 General Student visa (for students aged 16 and upwards) and the Tier 4 Child Student visa (for students aged between four and 17). So students aged 16 or 17 can apply for either type of visa. Tier 4 General students can only apply to study a full-time course, of at least

Settled and Pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. You may be able to stay in the UK without applying – for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain. When you can apply The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019.


The spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner of a person who is present and settled in the UK (ie a British citizen, or a person who holds settlement or refugee status) may apply for a visa on this basis. They may be able to apply from outside the UK or, in some circumstances, from within the UK. Such an application is made under British immigration law; family applications made by EEA nationals are made under European law, which is an

British Citizenship

Some people are entitled to British citizenship from the moment of birth; others must acquire it. It can be acquired by naturalisation (for adults aged 18 or over) or registration (typically for children but in some cases for adults). There are two different routes for naturalisation: a five-year route and a three-year route. Under the five-year route a person must have been legally in the UK for at least five years and they must have held indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence

Working in the UK

There are various different categories of working visa for non-EEA nationals: Start-Up visa This visa is for aspiring entrepreneurs who want to set up a business in the UK. There is no requirement for initial investment and it is not confined to graduates. However, there is a requirement for the proposed business to be endorsed by a Home Office-approved endorsement body. Close family members may apply for leave along with the main applicant but the visa is only granted for two years